XDCAM EX – New Generation HD Recording System
The PMW-EX3 follows on from the successful launch of the new PMW-EX1 and offers all the great features of the PMW-EX1 in a new semi-shoulder design. In addition to this new design the camcorder also features an interchangeable lens system, genlock, timecode and remote control capability for real added flexibility, offering a low-cost HD studio solution.
The PMW-EX3 combines a state-of-the-art, non-linear XDCAM workflow with simply the best HD quality yet seen in a semi-shoulder camcorder. It is also the first semi-shoulder camcorder to carry the legendary CineAlta 24P brand with multiple frame rate recording capability such as 59.94i, 50i, and native 23.98P, as well being 1080i/720P switchable.
There is also a choice of a 35Mb/s High Quality mode or a 25Mb/s, HDV 1080i compatible mode. To take advantage of this high performance recording capability, the PMW-EX3 uses the same imaging system as the PMW-EX1, consisting of three ½-inch type CMOS sensors, each with an effective pixel count of 1920×1080. In addition, there’s a purpose-built interchangeable Fujinon Professional HD ½-inch 14x lens and a unique dual focus ring mechanism. Included in the package is a ½-inch lens adaptor to allow use of other ½-inch lenses, plus the ability to use other optional lens adaptors for 2/3rd-inch, cinema-style and digital SLR lenses.
To maximise recording time, the PMW-EX3 has two memory card slots which means with a pair of 16 GB SxS PRO memory cards, it can record up to 140 minutes of HD footage.
A wide variety of accessories are also available, including a USB Reader/Writer, a wide-conversion lens, battery and charger.
The PMW-EX3 HD compact camcorder is the ideal solution for a wide range of customers from broadcasters through to independent videographers and filmmakers who want exceptional HD picture quality and state-of-the-art workflow from an affordable semi-shoulder camcorder.
Innovative solid state recording with SxS PRO ExpressCard memory cards offers the following benefits:
- Compatible with industry-standard ExpressCard interface available on most modern laptops
- No time lost to tape loading
- Robust storage media, impervious to shocks and vibrations
- Small, high capacity recording media offering over 2 hours of continuous HD content across 2 x 16GB cards.
- Common interoperability with HDV and XDCAM so ready to use immediately with most existing NLE.
- No need to worry about accidentally overwriting precious content
- Write and Re-Writable media with no degradation in picture quality
- Thumbnail images representing key scenes can be browsed and instantly accessed using on-camera colour screen
- ‘ Essence Mark’ key scenes at the touch of a button
- No frantic fast-forward/rewinding to find the clips you want to review
- Non-proprietary media manufacture
- Supplied with Clip Browser Software for viewing and copying clips to HDD, DVD or Blu-ray Disc.
Superior Picture Performance
Newly developed Exmor™ CMOS processors offer true 1080 x 1920 resolution:
- Large ½ inch sensors for excellent sensitivity and depth of field characteristics
- Full 1080 x 1920 effective pixels
- Low power consumption compared to CCD technology
- 1080 / 720 switchable for international programme production
Interchangeable Professional 1/2 inch HD Lens
The PMW-EX3 features an exceptional interchangeable ½ inch Fujinon lens, which offers the ability with the supplied lens adaptor to utilise current ½ -inch lenses.
- Interchangeable 14x Fujinon Professional HD lens
- Can be used with other 2/3rd inch, Cinema and D-SLR lenses with optional lens adaptors.
- Unique focus operation offering full manual focus with absolute focus or manual/auto focus operation.
- AutoFocus Assist ensuring focus position can be altered
- Manual Focus Assist to ensure optimum focus at all times
Exciting and Creative Recording Modes
The PMW-EX3 is the first semi-shoulder camcorder to carry the legendary CineAlta brand, which represents optimisation for feature film production and specifically support for 23.98P recording capability – the standard frame rate for feature film production. Alongside this, there are a myriad of creative recording modes available including:
- Slow and Quick motion offers a range of frame rates produced within the camera and available for instant review in the field. Now available via direct control on the camcorder body.
- New shutter setting emulates filmic operation
- Cine Gamma curves offer further filmic options for production
- Frame and Interval recording offers further creative scope for animation and extremely quick motion effects
- Slow Shutter for clear images in low-light environments
New features for Multi-camera operation
The PMW-EX3 includes genlock and timecode interfaces, plus remote control functionality through Sony professional remote control units, making the PMW-EX3 ideal for multi-camera operation and entry level HD studio use.
- Genlock and timecode interfaces allow multi-camera operation with other camcorders.
- Remote control via Sony RM-B150 or RM-B750 is available via the 8-pin remote control connector for easy set-up and control.