XDCAM EX – New Generation HD Recording System
The PMW-EX1 is the first in a new range of professional HD products – called XDCAM EX – which record onto memory-based SxS ExpressCard media. Designed from the ground up to exploit the ultimate high performance of SxS PRO memory cards, the PMW-EX1 combines a state-of-the-art, non-linear XDCAM workflow with simply the best HD quality yet seen in a compact camcorder. It is also the first handheld camcorder to carry the legendary CineAlta 24P brand with multiple frame rate recording capability such as 59.94i, 50i, and native 23.98P, as well as being 1080i/720P switchable.
There is also a choice of a 35Mb/s High Quality mode or a 25Mb/s, HDV 1080i compatible mode. To take advantage of this high performance recording capability, the PMW-EX1 uses an all-new imaging system consisting of three ½-inch type CMOS sensors, each with an effective pixel count of 1920×1080 to produce images in full HD resolution. In addition, there’s a purpose-built Fujinon Professional HD ½-inch 14x lens and a unique dual focus ring mechanism.
In fact, there are innovations in every detail of the PMW-EX1, from its IT-friendly MP4 file recording to advanced creative features, such as selectable gamma curves and ‘Slow & Quick Motion’ capability.
To maximise recording time, the PMW-EX1 has two memory card slots which means with a pair of 16 GB SxS PRO memory cards, it can record up to 140 minutes of HD footage.
A wide variety of accessories are also available, including a USB Reader/Writer, a wide-conversion lens, battery and charger.
The PMW-EX1 HD compact camcorder is the ideal solution for a wide range of customers from broadcasters through to independent videographers and film makers who want exceptional HD picture quality and state-of-the-art workflow from a compact and affordable camcorder.
The PMW-EX1 is truly an innovation in compact camcorder development. Based around the popular hand-held camcorder design, the new camera offers enhanced workflow benefits over existing tape-based camcorders coupled with a superior picture performance, which overall provides camera operators maximum flexibility in whatever style of production is chosen.
Innovative solid state recording with SxS PROExpressCard memory cards offers the following benefits:
- Compatible with industry-standard ExpressCard interface available on most modern laptops
- No time lost to tape loading
- Robust storage media, impervious to shocks and vibrations
- Small, high capacity recording media offering over 2 hours of continuous HD content across 2 x 16GB cards.
- Common interoperability with HDV and XDCAM so ready to use immediately with most existing NLE.
- No need to worry about accidentally overwriting precious content
- Write and Re-Writable media with no degradation in picture quality
- Thumbnail images representing key scenes can be browsed and instantly accessed using on-camera colour screen
- ‘ Essence Mark’ key scenes at the touch of a button
- No frantic fast-forward/rewinding to find the clips you want to review
- Non-proprietary media manufacture
- Supplied with Clip Browser Software for viewing and copying clips to HDD, DVD or Blu-ray Disc.
Superior Picture Performance
Newly developed Exmor™ CMOS processors offer true 1080 x 1920 resolution:
- Large ½ inch sensors for excellent sensitivity and depth of field characteristics
- Full 1080 x 1920 effective pixels
- Low power consumption compared to CCD technology
- 1080 / 720 switchable for international programme production
Professional 1/2 inch HD Lens
The PMW-EX1 not only features an exceptional ½ inch Fujinon lens, but also introduces a uniquely flexible control system designed to appeal to both broadcasters and videographers
- 14x Fujinon Professional HD lens
- Unique focus operation offering full manual focus with absolute focus operation similar to the lens focus on an interchangeable lens or manual/auto focus operation as per standard handheld cameras
- AutoFocus Assist ensuring focus position can be altered
- Manual Focus Assist to ensure optimum focus at all times
Exciting and Creative Recording Modes
The PMW-EX1 is the first compact camcorder to carry the legendary CineAlta brand, which represents optimisation for feature film production and specifically support for 23.98P recording capability – the standard frame rate for feature film production. Alongside this, there are a myriad of creative recording modes available including:
- Slow and Quick motion offers a range of frame rates produced within the camera and available for instant review in the field
- New shutter setting emulates filmic operation
- Cine Gamma curves offer further filmic options for production
- Frame and Interval recording offers further creative scope for animation and extremely quick motion effects
- Slow Shutter for clear images in low-light environments